7/2/2006 10:29:41 AM
Raymor Begins Production of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes From High Capacity Production Unit
Raymor Industries Inc., a leading developer and producer of single-walled carbon nanotubes, nanomaterials and advanced materials, is pleased to announce that the company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Raymor Nanotech, has begun producing single-walled carbon nanotubes (C-SWNT) from its high capacity production unit, which is designed to produce 10,000 grams/day. With this unit in production, the company is currently meeting with potential clients in order to secure long-term agreements for the supply of Raymor’s C-SWNT for use initially in the aerospace and defense sectors. With these agreements, Raymor will install additional production units to meet what the company has identified as a growing market demand for C-SWNT, thus aiming to become the largest producer of C-SWNT in the world.
Dr. Olivier Smiljanic, Director of Raymor’s Nanotechnology division and co-inventor of the technology had this to say about the news: “This thermal plasma-based C-SWNT production process has shown its importance in producing high quality C-SWNT. This unique, patented process allows for the continuous synthesis of C-SWNT while efficiently eliminating a greenhouse gas. Our C-SWNT will be delivered to well-known clients for their enduse applications, such as in composite materials.”
Frédéric Larouche, Assistant Director of Raymor’s Nanotechnology division, and also co-inventor of the technology, added the following: “To our knowledge, this is the only process which is capable of reaching very high production throughputs of high quality C-SWNT on a continuous basis.”
Stéphane Robert, President and CEO of Raymor Industries also commented on the news: “With major aerospace manufacturers committing to the construction of composite-based commercial aircraft, our capacity to supply high quality single-walled carbon nanotubes will serve as a catalyst for the incorporation of these phenomenal materials in new aircraft. We are currently focusing our production efforts on providing a high purity, consistent quality C-SWNT at throughputs targeting 10,000 grams per day. The company will offer C-SWNT to the market at a price which will allow for the growth of applications.”
Single-walled carbon nanotubes (C-SWNT) are unique forms of pure carbon, which are up to 100 times stronger than steel at 1/6th the weight i.e. very strong, lightweight materials. These materials have impressive electrical properties, as they can conduct electricity up to 1000 times greater than copper. C-SWNT can transfer heat up to 10 times greater than copper. Given these phenomenal properties, C-SWNT will be the technology platform for a multitude of applications, including:
- Aerospace: Electrically active, thermally conductive polymers, nanotube structural enhanced composites; etc.
- Defense: Enhanced lightweight ballistic protection, field sensors; etc.
- Energy: Hydrogen storage for fuel cells, battery electrodes, etc.
- Electronics/IT: Heat sinks; nanochips, hard drive heads, etc.
- Medical: New drug delivery medications, devices, etc.
- Sports: Enhanced golf, tennis, baseball, cycling equipment, etc.
- Telecom: Antennas, microwave amplifier devices, etc.
- Automotive: Fuel cells, structural components, electronics; etc.
- Consumer: Flat panel displays, textiles, paint, efficient lighting, water filtration, etc.
Raymor’s high quality C-SWNT are produced using a unique, patented, plasma-based process. As compared to the other techniques for commercially producing C-SWNT (CVD, Gas Phase CVD, Arc, Laser Ablation), Raymor produces in a continuous process large volumes of high quality C-SWNT at a reasonable price to facilitate the full integration of these materials into commercial products.
The Freedonia Group, in a report released in January 2006, predicts the global carbon nanotubes market to be a US$10 billion industry by 2020.
Other Headlines from Raymor Industries ...
- Raymor Closes Private Placement of $1,021,200
- Raymor Begins Production of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes From High Capacity Production Unit
- Installation of Raymor's high capacity single-walled carbon nanotubes production unit completed
- Nanotechnology for Defense 2005 'Washington' Generates Many Requests for Raymor's Carbon Nanotubes
- Raymor Industries Begins Commercial Production of Nano-Sized and Micron-Sized Titanium Powder for the Biomedical and Aerospace Markets
More Nanotubes Headlines ...
- Free-standing single walled carbon nanotube thin films
- Carbon Nanotubes Market - SWCNTs and MWCNTs Market Worth US$3.3 Billion by 2016 - Market Research
- Bayer MaterialScience strengthens position in carbon nanotubes
- New desalination process using carbon nanotubes
- Ultra fast photodetectors out of carbon nanotubes