4/6/2006 11:43:30 AM
Installation of Raymor's high capacity single-walled carbon nanotubes production unit completed
Raymor Industries Inc., a leading developer and producer of single-walled carbon nanotubes, nanomaterials and advanced materials, is proud to announce that the installation of its high capacity unit for the production of single-walled carbon nanotubes has now been completed, and operations will begin immediately. This is a key milestone towards demonstrating to major customers, including those in the aerospace and defense sectors, our capacity to produce high quality single-walled carbon nanotubes at high throughputs. The capacity of this first single-walled carbon nanotube production unit will increase to 10,000 grams/day during the 2 nd quarter of 2006. Following this, Raymor will install new units to meet market demand, thus becoming the largest producer of single-walled carbon nanotubes in the world.
“Our single-walled carbon nanotubes will be a technology platform for the commercialization of numerous applications in aerospace, defense, energy, and other sectors,” said Mr. Stéphane Robert, President of Raymor Industries. “With major aerospace manufacturers committing to the construction of composite-based commercial aircraft, our capacity to supply high quality single-walled carbon nanotubes will serve as a catalyst for the incorporation of these phenomenal materials in new aircraft,” added Mr. Robert.
Single-walled carbon nanotubes are unique forms of pure carbon, which are up to 100 times stronger than steel at 1/6 th the weight i.e. very strong, lightweight materials. These materials have impressive electrical properties, as they can conduct electricity up to 1000 times greater than copper. S ingle-walled carbon nanotubes can transfer heat up to 10 times greater than copper. Given these phenomenal properties, single-walled carbon nanotubes will be the technology platform for a multitude of applications, including:
- Aerospace : Electrically active, thermally conductive polymers, nanotube structural enhanced composites; etc.
- Defense : Enhanced lightweight ballistic protection, field sensors; etc.
- Energy : Hydrogen storage for fuel cells, battery electrodes, etc.
- Electronics/IT : Heat sinks; nanochips, hard drive heads, etc.
- Medical : New drug delivery medications, devices, etc.
- Sports : Enhanced golf, tennis, baseball, cycling equipment, etc.
- Telecom : Antennas, microwave amplifier devices, etc.
- Automotive : Fuel cells, structural components, electronics; etc.
- Consumer : Flat panel displays, textiles, paint, efficient lighting, water filtration, etc.
Raymor’s high quality single-walled carbon nanotubes are produced using a unique, patented, plasma-based process. As compared to the other techniques for commercially producing single-walled carbon nanotubes (CVD, Gas Phase CVD, Arc, Laser Ablation), Raymor will produce in a continuous process large volumes of high quality single-walled carbon nanotubes at a reasonable price to facilitate the full integration into commercial products.
The Freedonia Group, in a report released in January 2006, predicts the global carbon nanotubes market to be a US$10 billion industry by 2020.
Other Headlines from Raymor Industries ...
- Raymor Closes Private Placement of $1,021,200
- Raymor Begins Production of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes From High Capacity Production Unit
- Installation of Raymor's high capacity single-walled carbon nanotubes production unit completed
- Nanotechnology for Defense 2005 'Washington' Generates Many Requests for Raymor's Carbon Nanotubes
- Raymor Industries Begins Commercial Production of Nano-Sized and Micron-Sized Titanium Powder for the Biomedical and Aerospace Markets
More Nanotubes Headlines ...
- Free-standing single walled carbon nanotube thin films
- Carbon Nanotubes Market - SWCNTs and MWCNTs Market Worth US$3.3 Billion by 2016 - Market Research
- Bayer MaterialScience strengthens position in carbon nanotubes
- New desalination process using carbon nanotubes
- Ultra fast photodetectors out of carbon nanotubes